Not for the faint of heart – the ladies dish ALL about poop (varieties, colors, “Miss Ideal” + how to improve your bowel movements. Strap yourself in for a fun one! || Full show notes & curried carrot salad recipe at the theladiesdish.com/ldp43 | Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to The Ladies Dish!
IN THIS EPISODE
Spooks & Spice 21DSD! Signup at theladiesdish.com/21dsd or make sure you are in the Facebook group to be reminded!
Interview Game Question (2:50)
What’s the nickname you had as a child? One of the gals was named Fievel!
What’s Cookin’? (4:52)
Joy shares this week recipe with an SUPER easy side dish you can serve at home or take to a party/picnic. It’s curried carrot salad! Grab the recipe here.
LDP's Sponsor - The Nutritional Therapy Association
The NTA is an amazing organization that certified all three LDP co-hosts as Nutritional Therapy Consultants. We all highly recommend the NTC course or NTP (Nutritional Therapy Practitioner) course to anyone interested in pursuing an education in holistic health and learning how real, whole foods help heal the body from the inside out. Visit www.nutritionaltherapy.com for more information and to download a registration packet!
Today’s Topic: All About Poop (7:17)
What IS poop?
• DID YOU KNOW? About 3/4 of an average piece of poop is made of water. Of the remaining 1/4, about 1/3 of it is dead bacteria from your intestines; another 1/3 is fibrous matter; the remaining amount is made up of fats, phosphates, living bacteria, dead cells, mucus, protein, etc.
• The health of your poop can explain a LOT about the health of the entire body
• Normal bowel movements happen 1-2 times a day (although different for everyone) and is typically medium brown in color and solidly formed in the shape of an S or a C. It should be passed very easily and regularly (aka “Miss Ideal”)
Quick Breakdown: It tells us so much! (9:44)
Different Types (based on PP & Bristol Stool Chart)
• Practical Paleo - Poop Pageant
o Ms Show Off
o Ms Runny
o Ms Rocky
o Ms Muscles
o Ms Swim Team
o Ms Toxic
• Link to download of the Poop Pageant from Practical Paleo
Colors of the Rainbow: (17:18)
1. BLACK: usually a sign that you may be internally bleeding, so if this persists for more than 2-3 poops, you will want to consult a physician.
2. GREEN: usually mean that food is making its way through your digestive tract very quickly, which can be a sign that you are starting to experience diarrhea or have not been consuming enough fiber to slow the transition down within your digestive tract.
3. RED or PURPLE: can be somewhat common if you eat a lot of deeply colored vegetables like beets, but if you experience colors like this that you cannot associate with any food you recently ate, you should consult your doctor.
4. GRAY or YELLOW: normally a sign that mucus is making its way into your stool. This shows that likely there is a problem with the liver or gallbladder, since the liver is responsible for producing bile that gives stool a grayish/yellow tint.
How to Improve Your Poop: (21:20)
1. Increase your fiber intake
2. Drink plenty of water
3. Probiotics - foods and/or supplements
5. Support your liver
6. Add magnesium
Note: Since magnesium is one of the most common nutrient deficiencies in adults, there are really no downsides to tying magnesium, as long as you stick within the recommended daily dosage carefully; if you start experiencing stools that are too loose and watery, you can adjust your intake until its comfortable and back to normal.
Be sure to check out Episodes 24 & 25 all about the WHOLE digestion process for more tips on how to improve your digestion from the top to bottom!
Kate’s story (26:55)
“Does anyone else have off BMs during your cycle? I was going so well, and they are off this week. That's the only thing I can identify that is different” (28:14)
Ladies...we all know this happens! So this is a result of… you may have guessed it…. Hormones! A couple reasons actually:
3. Getting rid of waste and toxins (used up hormones)
• Practical Paleo Poop Pageant
• Bristol Stool Chart
• Go With Your Gut by Robin Youkilis
Thank you for joining us this week for Episode 43. Remember to subscribe in iTunes so you don’t miss a future episode!
Like the show? Leave us a review! Follow the below link and then click the blue "View on iTunes" button - once you're logged into your iTunes account you can add a review. We greatly appreciate your time and feedback!